Monday, September 2, 2013

The Work of Miguel Paredes


One of my favorite artists who use digital media extensively within their work is American artist and urban impressionist, Miguel Paredes.  Miguel Paredes, resides in Miami, Florida but has gained wide recognition and popularity for his works around the world.  Paredes’ New York City upbringing greatly influenced his art with the inclusion of street culture and graffiti style throughout many of his works. Among my favorites of his works is his series “Pulgha and Birds”.  These hand-drawn digital works are hip-hop and anime inspired, often set amongst city landscapes and brightly colored to integrate the spirit of his urban landscape and Latin American heritage.  The Pulgha (“pulga” means flea in Spanish) is a small anime insect flea that serves to educate children by promoting environmental conservation and green initiatives in the artist’s concept for a children’s storybook.

I find these works to be very intriguing and beautiful not only for the vibrant color and seamless integration with all the other elements within the composition, but also for its social commentary on environmental conservation.  As a Studio Art major, in my senior year, I have focused my senior works on the theme of the imbalance between nature and technology. Twenty-first century technology has allowed for great progress and industry in society but at the cost of destroying our natural environment.  It is always exciting when I find an artist that shares a similar idea but expresses it in a unique and spectacular way.  The attention to detail and thought behind Paredes work allows the viewer to find joy and run wild in an alternate world full of vibrancy, energy, and fun.  These works make me want to learn as much as I can about digital media and hopefully incorporate my own ideas into this genre of art.
Pulgha & 2 Geishas 2
48" x 72", 2011, print on canvas

 Pulgha World
45" x 60", 2010, print on canvas

View Miguel Paredes' website here:

3 comments:

  1. Interesting that he combines hand drawn images with digital manipulation. Brings to mind Lowbrow and Surrealist movements. I've enjoyed seeing all the varied takes on environmentalism in art you've shown us here and in senior studio! I'll have to look up more about the Urban Impressionist movement- never heard of that until now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the themes of his work. I too am curious about how technology and nature mingle and what that means for the future. It's fascinating to see how artist can convey such strong messages through paintings. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely be checking out more of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The two images you posted are absolutely fantastic. I love the contrast between the very classic Japanese symbolism of the ladies in their kimonos and make-up and the completely modern shapes and color schemes dominating the works.

    ReplyDelete