Monday, September 2, 2013

What is Digital Media Art?


As I am taking a digital media class for the first time, I wondered what digital media art is?  How is it produced?  How has this relatively new art movement impacted that art world?  During my quest to find the answer to these basic questions I came across an article that gave me insight into the digital media world.  Digital media has allowed artists to use digital technology to create traditional forms of art such as paintings, sculptures, and drawings with new mediums.  Artists use technologies like advanced digital media, remote sensing technologies, and Internet media to create these new and interesting works.  Digital media has had a big impact on the art world as an alternative way of preserving art, creating new vernacular, and allowing viewers another way of experiencing and connecting with art.  While digital media has been praised as a revolutionary new art genre, it has been ridiculed as lacking creativity in digitally made art and therefore are not to be considered “a genuine art form”.  However, I find digital media to be very creative at times and a new and exciting experience for both viewers and artists alike.

Check out this link for the full article!

2 comments:

  1. Like you, Digital Media is a newer thing for me. Also like you, I had to search around on the internet to find something that more or less told me what it is. I've studied other art forms and movements before and, though this one looks different, I find it amusing that many ridicule it and claim that it shouldn't be considered a "genuine art form". Ha! In my opinion, anything that exercises the mind's creativity and challenges the masses is allowed to be considered an art form. If a toddler's scribbling on the bathroom wall is considered "art", you bet I think digital media should be considered a legitimate art form.

    As for the newness of digital media, I find it refreshing to look at something a little different. It's cool to look at something that is meant to look like it is made of your typical media (paint, ink, etc.) when it really isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed! Digital media is just a tool - much like a paintrbrush is to a painter. Art is all about the visual communication of ideas :)

    ReplyDelete